[RCD] Larry: toolbar button groups

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Mon Jul 9 17:14:04 CEST 2012

Panagiotis Christias wrote:
>>> Definitely worth a try. But would it really be more usable if
>>> there's a horizontal scrollbar?
>> Dunno, but it's 1 complaint we get. users seem to interpret it as a
>> bug that the icons become unreachable when the search form moves over
>> it. Telling them the site needs a minimal width only gets us very
>> little sympathy :) Showing that minimal width may be an option. It
>> doesnt make the site more usable probably. I dont know which of the 2
>> is worse.
>
> I would like to second that. From our experience, users would consider
> any such site/page/app just "broken", while the horizontal scrollbar is
> a clear, and familiar from other sites too, indication that *they* need
> to resize *their* window.

You're 100% right and I totally agree.

But I'm currently struggling with a technical/css problem to bring in these
horizontal scroll bars: The entire page layout is based on absolutely
positioned boxes using top/bottom and left/right values to scale with the
window size. The body has overflow:hidden to avoid the strange bounce
effect in webkit browsers when using the scroll wheel. That effect is nice
but totally unwanted here. And I didn't find a better solution to disable
that bouncing other than with overflow:hidden.

Also spawning a div that does the scrolling wouldn't work because the
absolutely positioned boxes still resize with the window and not the
surrounding element. Sigh!

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

~Thomas