[RCD] Ready for the switch?

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Thu Jul 19 23:07:47 CEST 2012

Benjamin Connelly wrote:
> As system administrators, sometimes the phrase "change is bad" is
> unfortunately true. What we will want to do is *not* change the skin on
> everyone automagically (which would surely produce many many support
> tickets) instead announcing that there is a cool new skin available, so
> those who choose to try it, and prefer it, can adopt it.

Sure. The active skin is still configurable. So it's the sysadmins choice
which skin to give to the users.

> I still have questions about what needs to change within plugins to be
> compatible with larry? It seems like the larry skin has to be "extended"
> into whatever plugins are active? Are there any resources you can point
> me to for help with that? We mostly use off-the-shelf plugins which we
> will just wait for their developers to make larry-ready, but there is
> one that we have forked ourselves and will need to do whatever it takes. . .

Those plugins adding UI elements most likely have a skins folder with a
nested folder named "default" that holds icons, stylesheets and templates
for whatever elements the skin adds to the UI. To make a plugin larry-ready
one needs to create a new folder skins/larry/ and copy and adapt the styles
and templates from the default folder to look nice on the new UI.

The same rules apply as for the current default skin which are roughly
documented here: http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Doc_Plugins#Templates

You can also check the upstream plugins like the "help" plugin to get an
example: https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/tree/master/plugins/help

What I was asking on this thread was how to change the names of the skin
folders. After reading your feedbacks I tend to keep the Larry theme stored
in a folder named "larry" and rename the current "default" folder to
"legacy". This means, that in an ideal deployment there's no "default" skin
folder and all configs that still have 'skin' = 'default' will silently get
the larry theme. If a plugin has not yet been updated and still has a
skins/default/ folder, that one will be used for both the larry and the
legacy theme.

~Thomas