[RCD] PDO-based DB layer

Geert Wirken geert at gwirken.nl
Mon Jul 23 11:27:13 CEST 2012

On 23-07-12 09:23, A.L.E.C wrote:
> affected_rows() is not the same. It shouldn't be used for SELECT
> statements. I removed num_rows() because it was used only in one place
> and because it can be simply replaced by looping on fetch_array() if
> needed. rcube_contacts doesn't use num_rows() any more.

It occurs to me that looping on a (large) data set is quite inefficient,
one could better use a SELECT COUNT() to find the number of rows.

@Phil: PDO does not offer a function like num_rows, it only offers
rowCount() (http://php.net/manual/en/pdostatement.rowcount.php) which
returns the number of affected rows. In MySQL, the effect is the same
(rowCount returns the number of rows in a select) but this behavior does
not necessarily extend to other databases. It would be safer to rely on
other methods to find the number of rows.

Cheers,
Geert