[RCD] Ready for the switch?

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Fri Jul 27 19:16:41 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Thomas Bruederli <thomas at roundcube.net> wrote:
> Benjamin Connelly wrote:
>> As system administrators, sometimes the phrase "change is bad" is
>> unfortunately true. What we will want to do is *not* change the skin on
>> everyone automagically (which would surely produce many many support
>> tickets) instead announcing that there is a cool new skin available, so
>> those who choose to try it, and prefer it, can adopt it.
>
> Sure. The active skin is still configurable. So it's the sysadmins choice
> which skin to give to the users.
>>
>> [...]
>
> What I was asking on this thread was how to change the names of the skin
> folders. After reading your feedbacks I tend to keep the Larry theme stored
> in a folder named "larry" and rename the current "default" folder to
> "legacy". This means, that in an ideal deployment there's no "default" skin
> folder and all configs that still have 'skin' = 'default' will silently get
> the larry theme. If a plugin has not yet been updated and still has a
> skins/default/ folder, that one will be used for both the larry and the
> legacy theme.

After trying out that option I think this is the way to go. So we'll
rename all skins/default/ folders to skins/classic/ and adjust the
code to use skins/larry/ if the local configuration still says
"default". We strongly encourage plugin developers to do the same in
preparation for the upcoming stable release which is planned for the
end of next week.

But don't worry, even plugins which are not updated and still have a
skin folder named "default" will be fine if they use the dedicated
function $this->local_skin_path() to get the currently configured skin
path.

We're well aware of the fact that this change might have some
unintended consequences for some Roundcube installations but the
switch has to happen at some point and we hope to have found a proper
way to handle it.

Best,
Thomas