[RCD] too late to offer feedback on larry?

Benjamin Connelly ben at electricembers.net
Sat Jul 28 05:28:07 CEST 2012

I hear 0.8 is almost ready to be released. Exciting (and anxiety
producing ;)

I really love the new artwork/icons, but below is a list of things I'd
love to see improved with the skin before feeling comfortable rolling it
out to our users. (I'm testing code grabbed daily using

  git clone https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail.git

Is this the best way to test the latest changes?)

0) I have a 1024x768 display, and if I reset the zoom level (ctrl+0) in
the browser, then the mailbox view (with or without preview pane) does
not fit on the screen. A horizontal scroll bar appears, but who want's
to have to scroll right just to see the "Settings" and "Logout" buttons,
half of "Address Book" button, columns right of Date etc.? It takes two
zoom out's (ctrl+-) to get to a point where the horizontal scroll bar
goes away, but at that point the text is uncomfortably small. At 1280
this is not a problem.

1) In "Settings" at this 1024 resolution, a lot of the various sections
create a horizontal scroll bar in the third (far right) pane. I think
they layout of 3 columns is nifty, but also a lot of screen real estate
gets wasted and all the content feels cramped to the right. Especially
true with more complicated areas like the managesieve plugin's filter
form. I actually prefer the old "tabs" for the first level of hierarchy
in settings, then a two column view with plenty of room to work with the
actual content in a wider right column.

2) I really like that Larry shows who you're logged in as, but that top
bar with just "about" on the left and these items on the right also
seems to consume a bit more real estate than it actually needs.

3) The next bar down is even thicker, and seems to create a big void of
unusable space top center, pushing everything down.

4) With the status messages moved to the bottom of the screen means
there is yet another blank bar down there most of the time, instead of
sometimes using the empty real estate top center as the old skin did.

5) I actually prefer the way the old skin had a soft fading dividing
line between the "Mail, Address Book, Settings, Logout" buttons, instead
of being hard all the way across. And the gradient of this new "Mail,
Address Book, Settings" button bar seems messy between the gorgeous
light and dark grey linen textures (especially the way the active button
has it's gradient reversed.) Couldn't they all just be the ligher grey
linen texture?

6) The folder actions icon seems inordinately large. Also in Settings ->
Folders and Identities, those similar icons (new identity, add a folder,
folder actions) seem big to me. And in addressbook.

7) In composing messages, the body box seems cramped, and almost a
little hard to know it's there, or where it is. (Old skin had nice thin
black lines and clean white. Now I find myself squinting to make out
subtly greyer areas around the various rectangles.) Is it possible to
not have the attachments column to the right, unless the user has
actually clicked the button above to "Attach" a file?  (it also adds a
redundant redundant "Attach a file" button.)

8) The new feature of having the addressbook contacts appear to the left
seems nifty. Is it possible to expand them by default? Without clicking
"Personal addreses", folks might not know how useful this can be ;)

9) The various blues and greys and just aren't doing it for me. It feels
branded but not in our company's colors. Any hope for configurability,
or something a little more neutral (whiter?) (Or perhaps we can just
tweak the CSS to use different colors?)

10) "threads" vs "list" buttons are not super obvious to me which is
active, and when clicked they seem to leave a dotted blue box around
them going all the way to the left edge of the screen, until I click
elsewhere?

11) when viewing a message not just in the preview pane (but by double
clicking it) the "Back" button creates a strange vertical line to the
left of it in the linen texture -- much like the "Reply All" and
"Forward" buttons have to their right, but that's because they have drop
down list options. This is a super duper minor critique.

I feel terrible laying all this on what has been a tremendous effort! I
just wanted to share my honest opinion / impression.

Benjamin
ben at electricembers.net