[RCD] Remove user.alias column

Claudio Kuenzler ck at claudiokuenzler.com
Tue Jul 31 14:40:00 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM, A.L.E.C <alec at alec.pl> wrote:

> That column is used only for log in. The current behaviour allows only
> one alias. Also not every installation is using it at all. What I
> propose is to:[[BR]]
> 1. remove this column.
> 2. add an option which will search for the username in identities table.
> SELECT u.*
> FROM users.u
> JOIN identities i ON (i.user_id = u.user_id)
> WHERE email = ?
> LIMIT 1
>
> So, this way searching for alias would be optional (which will improve
> performance, when not needed, e.g. there's a plugin which do alias
> mapping) and will give more possibilities.
>
> What I'm afraid of is that there's a use-case where alias is not an
> email address.

You're exactly right. Our Roundcube installation (with several hundred
users) is using a setup with Confixx. The e-mail accounts created by
Confixx can only be accessed by a username (not e-mail address). To allow
our users to log in using username AND e-mail address, I am using a plugin
(authenticate_by_confixx).
But if a user wants to use his real username as login, this would fail if
the username is not in the alias column anymore.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.