[RCD] Remove user.alias column

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Tue Jul 31 16:55:21 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM, A.L.E.C <alec at alec.pl> wrote:
> That column is used only for log in. The current behaviour allows only
> one alias. Also not every installation is using it at all. What I
> propose is to:[[BR]]
> 1. remove this column.
> 2. add an option which will search for the username in identities table.
> SELECT u.*
> FROM users.u
> JOIN identities i ON (i.user_id = u.user_id)
> WHERE email = ?
> LIMIT 1
>
> So, this way searching for alias would be optional (which will improve
> performance, when not needed, e.g. there's a plugin which do alias
> mapping) and will give more possibilities.

Yep, that column was indeed never really used. To make the average
case work, one could always update the alias column with the email
address of the default identity once that is updated. But I guess
after introducing the plugin API we can easily drop that column from
the schema and let plugins solve specific requirements.

The option to search in identities as a fall back does sound. Please
just add AND del <> 1 to the SQL query then.

> What I'm afraid of is that there's a use-case where alias is not an
> email address.

-> use plugins for that.

~Thomas