[RCD] Issues on Updates

Arne Berglund aberglund at lesd.k12.or.us
Sun Nov 11 20:23:10 CET 2012

On 11/11/12 01:15, Martin Wodrich wrote:
> I just updated our Roundcube-Stable Installation from 0.8.2 to 0.8.3
> via ./bin/installto.sh
> and found 3 not so good thing in the main.inc.php.
>
> 1. The Config-Line for the Useragent:
>
> The old line was:
> $rcmail_config['useragent'] = 'Roundcube Webmail/'.RCMAIL_VERSION;
>
> installto.sh sets it to:
>
> $rcmail_config['useragent'] = 'Roundcube Webmail/0.8.3';
>

> 2. Config-Lines from plugins that must be configure in the
> main.inc.php
> are lost. Here it is the plugin show_additional_headers and the line
> $rcmail_config['show_additional_headers'] = array('Content-Type',
> 'Content-Transfer-Encoding', 'User-Agent', 'Mailer', 'X-Mailer',
> 'X-Newsreader', 'X-Posting-Agent', 'X-Http-User-Agent', 'X-MimeOLE');
>

> 3. All user defined comments in the config are lost.

Issues like these are some of the reason I never update an existing
installation, but always install fresh each time. I typically use a copy
of the database for major version changes (0.7.x -> 0.8), but not for
incrementals. I'll also do a diff on the main.inc.php.dist from the
existing to the new version - if there are no diffs, I'll simply copy
the previous main.inc.php to the new, otherwise I'll verify the changes
and re-config as needed.

I've written a step-by-step document for myself to make sure I don't
miss any of our customizations during version upgrades. It takes me
about 20 minutes to bring up a new version, which I typically run in
tandem with the prior version for a few days for testing before I roll
it out to our users.

--
Arne Berglund
System Administrator, Internet Services