[RCD] Replies to HTML messages

Michael Heydekamp listuser at freexp.de
Sun Nov 18 23:13:17 CET 2012

Am 18.11.2012 08:55, schrieb A.L.E.C:
> On 11/18/2012 01:26 AM, Michael Heydekamp wrote:

>> I just realized that the whole thing is also related to the user config
>> setting "Display HTML" in the "Displaying messages" section. If disabled,
>> Roundcube DOES reply to the text/plain part (if at the same time "Compose
>> HTML messages" is set to "Never").
>
> Yes. This is by design. If you view the message as HTML we use the same
> part for response. It's because text and html part may differ.

Well, they HAVE to differ by definition, IMO. Otherwise it wouldn't make
sense to have a text/html and a text/plain part, if there would be nil
difference.

But the text part of a HTML message is by far the better formatted and
"quotable" part than the HTML part, being stripped and re-formatted by
Roundcube or any other MUA. See the newsletter that I attached to my
original post, the quote is just ridiculous.

> I think it's better to use on reply the same part which was viewed.

And I think that the text/plain part is there for some reason: One of them
being that it should be the one to be quoted if composing a text/plain
reply. (The other one being that it can be viewed with MUAs not being
HTML-capable.)

>> If "Display HTML" is disabled, I see the text/plain part. Optional, I can
>> click on the "HTML message" link to display the text/html part. This is
>> great, but:
>>
>> a) If I click on the link "HTML message", the HTML message is (of course)
>> being loaded, but along with all remote images without any warning (and
>> although I didn't explicitely allow Roundcube to load those images). This is
>> in contradiction to the situation when "Display HTML" is ENABLED, where
>> those images are NOT loaded by default. So enabling this option is more
>> secure than disabling it...?
>
> This might be a bug. Create a ticket in our bugtracker.

Will do.

>> b) Vice versa ("Display HTML" being enabled) I do NOT get a link to display
>> the text/plain part. But if this link would exist, THIS could do the trick
>> with regards to if I will reply with a HTML or a plain text message (and
>> which part of the message will be quoted). At least I should have the chance
>> to VIEW the text/plain part, even if "Display HTML" is enabled.
>>
>> I do not have a final concept at hand, but would you agree that some
>> redesign is needed here...?
>
> I agree, it would be good to have a html/text switching button in
> message preview pane. Would you like to work on a patch?

Absolutely! But...

Unfortunately I can't. As I said already in my original post (that part you
didn't quote, not sure if you did read it):

>> If so, I'm happy to cooperate (I can just not code the stuff, but I may be
>> able to work on the desired logic).

My PHP/js skills are close to zero, you should be grateful if I don't touch
the Roundcube code at all. ;) And my BP skills wouldn't help here, I'm
afraid.

So I'm totally dependent on you guys and can just propose sense-making
suggestions here and there...

Anyway, thanks to the Roundcube dev team for the great job (some things
need to be said sometimes)
--
Michael Heydekamp
Co-Admin freexp.de