[RCD] Plugin repository - with Composer?

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Thu Oct 18 12:51:07 CEST 2012

Hello folks

Sadly, our attempts to set up a central repository for plugin failed so
far. Till once started with the idea to install a PEAR channel and to use
PEAR-style package descriptions to define dependencies but that project
stuck a while ago.

I'd like to ask again for volunteers to help us creating a plugin
repository for Roundcube. There's a new star shining on the PHP packaging
sky named Composer [1] and I was wondering if some of you already made some
experiences with it. It seems like a light-weighted and easy-to-use system
to define packages and dependencies including version checks.

And there's the Packagist project [2] which exactly does what I have in
mind as a plugin repository and which could be forked to tweaked for our needs.

So if anybody is willing to create a prototype repository which could serve
the Roundcube plugins, you'd make us and the entire community very happy.

Any feedback in Composer vs. PEAR or general suggestions for the plugin
repository are welcome!

Best,
Thomas

[1] http://getcomposer.org