[RCD] New look of compose and message screens

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Wed Sep 5 16:14:48 CEST 2012

A.L.E.C wrote:
> In last few changes I improved message display screen. So, now it looks
> the same as the preview frame. I think this way the UI looks more clean
> and unified. I hope you agree with me. This also matches the look of
> other tasks e.g. addressbook where white color is used for the whole
> contact information frame/box.
>
> Because I was never happy with that how mail compose screen looks like,
> the idea came to make the same with compose screen. I started to work on
> this. See attached screenshot. The main reason of this change is a
> unification, but it will fix some issues on compose screen. E.g. the
> whole compose box will be scrollable so there will be no problems with
> too small screen height (even with displayed all headers and options).
>
> Opinions?

I like the old/current screen better because it brings a better separation
of the different parts (headers, compose text, options). We already had
feedback from a usability expert, that the gray arrow to expand the headers
in the preview frame is not intuitive and I think we should therefore not
copy that into the compose screen. And where can I now add CC, BCC and stuff?

Improvement of the current compose screen could be:

* Add toolbar buttons for send/save/cancel and move the current form
buttons to the bottom of the screen. That's what we have in the classic
skin and it respects the top-to-bottom flow one might have when composing a
message.

* The white compose area (especially in plain text mode) could get of a 3D
inset border in order to make it more appear as a place where one can enter
text.

~Thomas