[RCD] New look of compose and message screens

Manfred Usselmann usselmann.m at icg-online.de
Mon Sep 10 11:31:04 CEST 2012

Am 10.09.2012 08:44, schrieb A.L.E.C:

> On 09/09/2012 08:30 PM, Thomas Bruederli wrote:
>
>> I really don't see an improvement in the new
>> expand-all-options-and-headers-at-once solution you're proposing for
>> the compose screen. There are several levels of "expansion" in the
>> current compose screen (so as they where in the old skin). It's
>> common
>> that one wants to add a CC or BCC field when composing a new
>> message.
>> This level of extensibility is perfectly covered with the (+) Add
>> links we now have. More advanced options are hidden in the area
>> between
>> headers and the body. I use them way less than adding a CC.
>> Therefore
>> it makes sense to me, to have them in a different location and
>> hidden
>> by a separate Options button. Since they mostly affect message
>> headers,
>> the location of this options palette is IMO just right.
>
> In my opinion in the old skin (and larry) the "Add CC" and others
> links
> were added because lack of vertical space, but ok.

It also more intuitive for the user. I want to add a Cc: very often and
immediately seen an option which allows me to do this.

> We can add these
> links back and keep new design. No problem.

Yes, please. :-)

>> You now propose to expand everything on one click and smash a
>> shitload
>> of options into a dummy user's face who just wants to add a CC line.
>> That's a regression and not an optimization to me.
>
> Hey, it's less clicks in the end. Why we can display all options at a
> time?

In my option it's more confusing if I only want to add a Cc: and
instead
the screen changes completely and I see many new fields I don't need at
all.

> Because now we have a scroller, so displaying big area of headers
> + options doesn't make the body textarea smaller.

The scroller is a good idea, but still, I have to use it (additional
mouse
movements, clicks) to see a bigger part of the text.

Manfred