[RCD] Mobile skin

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 14 14:48:48 CEST 2013

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013, A.L.E.C wrote:

> Messages list widget is indeed very desktop-specific and changing it to
> other HTML element would be very hard. There's a lot of logic
> (selecting, dragging, threading, sorting, etc.) that depends on TABLE
> structure. Many actions depends on this and list.js code.
>
> If you really want to do it. You could keep the table, but make it
> invisible (display:none) and bind to insertrow event to create your own
> list (and add rows to it). However, you'll still need to write a lot of
> javascript code to handle all actions on the list. You'll need at least
> to re-write the whole list.js code.

Is there any mileage or interest in implementing a minimal interface for
smartphones which doesn't try to handle all actions on the list?

I've been looking at Horde/IMP over the last few days. Their smartphone
interface appears to implement:

1) Compose new message (with simple integration with addressbook/LDAP,
    and the list of identities).

2) Select a mailbox
3) List messages in current mailbox
4) Search for messages in current mailbox

5) View message in currently selected mailbox
6) Reply to, Forward and Save the (single) currently viewed message

and that is about it. No drag and drop or manipulation involving multiple
messages. No way to manipulate the users' addressbook or preferences.

This seems like a sensible compromise given the limitations of mobile
devices. Apart from the addressbook and identity integration in (1) it
could be an entirely separate application. Indeed I believe that is how it
came about.

I apologise if this subject has been discussed to death in the past: I've
only been on the list for a couple of months.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.