[RCD] Mobile skin

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 14 16:05:24 CEST 2013

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013, Rosali wrote:

> IMO, the only reason to have a mobile skin (with limited features) is
> contacts and may be calendaring integration. The preferable way to serve
> mobile devices is to use CalDAV/CardDAV. Almost all mobile devices have
> fully integrated clients for IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV. So, is it really
> necessary to have a (feature limited) web interface? Just me 5 cents.

I agree that the integrated clients will almost always offer a better user
experience as they are optimised for the device in question.

The one significant advantage that I can see is that the integrated
clients have to be configured to use a given IMAP server, while people can
just click on a URL to get the (limited) web interface.

So I can borrow someone else's mobile device to check my mail, if I happen
to have left my own at home.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.