[RCD] Mobile skin

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Mon Apr 15 13:50:28 CEST 2013

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM, A.L.E.C <alec at alec.pl> wrote:
> On 04/12/2013 10:25 PM, Francisco Chacón wrote:
>
>> One of my major dudes, is the markup language used for rounduce
>> costumizable? I read the documentation of the languageś elements, but most
>> of them are oriented to desktop visualization, for example the  *
>>  messagelist * element is a table, but, in my opinion, the table is not
>> practical in a mobile device (needs too much work whit css).

We're actually happy to hear that someone is willing to contribute a
free skin for mobile devices as this was requested several times and
we even put it on our roadmap for future releases of Roundcube. But as
you now experienced, some refactoring is necessary to make this
happen. We'd really appreciate your work on this. But please consider
to more focus on a responsive skin that scales for a variety of
devices from desktop / tablets down to mobile phones. A pure mobile
skin isn't the most sustainable solution for today's needs.

> Messages list widget is indeed very desktop-specific and changing it to
> other HTML element would be very hard. There's a lot of logic
> (selecting, dragging, threading, sorting, etc.) that depends on TABLE
> structure. Many actions depends on this and list.js code.

That's absolutely true and that's (hopefully) the only component that
would require changes in the core to make a mobile skin reality.
Beside the table structure which isn't not very handy, I assume having
something like checkboxes for row selection might be necessary as
well.

> If you really want to do it. You could keep the table, but make it
> invisible (display:none) and bind to insertrow event to create your own
> list (and add rows to it). However, you'll still need to write a lot of
> javascript code to handle all actions on the list. You'll need at least
> to re-write the whole list.js code.

That's something we should do because getting a mobile skin is of
substantial interest for Roundcube, I'm willing to support you as good
as I can. Please give us some time to get over the list code and we'll
see how we could bring support for a <div> or <ul> structure to our
core list widget.

> I'm not sure it is worth a try.

We generally agreed that we want a mobile skin after the recent survey
and discussion and this is IMO the first step to take.

~Thomas