[RCD] Roundcube Plugins, Separate Repositories, Config Files

till klimpong at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 02:17:51 CEST 2013

On Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM, rodrigo wrote:

> Is there any particular reason the default set of included (but not
> activated) plugins has not been separated out from the main repository
> into repositories of their own? I would even argue that skins, aside
> from the default, should be separate repositories. My group manages our
> installation with git and it would make my life a ton easier if this
> were the case.

I don't remember when they were put back into the "master". They used to be more separate.

We can easily spin them off with a git subtree split — also keeping the history, etc.. But yeah, in its current state composer requires individual repositories and so on. I guess this is more or less of question of handling these externals.

> I saw an answer to "[RCD] update.sh (http://update.sh) clobbering custom plugin configs in
> main.inc.php?" earlier today, suggesting that a config file within the
> plugin should be edited. Plugins are basically vendor code, wouldn't it
> make more sense to make a plugin_name.inc.php within /config, and have a
> plugin standard (in the form of a config grabber method) that grabs the
> appropriate config file? This way, the plugin could be updated by
> composer or git, and there'd be no worry about overwriting configs, or
> editing vendor code. It'd encourage plugin writers to keep their config
> separate from the roundcube config, because there'd be an easily
> accessible function for it.

I'd also like that. I think up until now the configuration part hasn't seem too much love and is very legacy. But if you have ideas, feel free to bounce them around. :)

Till