[RCD] Roundcube Plugins, Separate Repositories, Config Files

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 14:14:10 CEST 2013

till wrote:

> On Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Thomas Bruederli wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM, till <klimpong at gmail.com
>> <mailto:klimpong at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM, rodrigo wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there any particular reason the default set of included (but not
>>> activated) plugins has not been separated out from the main repository
>>> into repositories of their own? I would even argue that skins, aside
>>> from the default, should be separate repositories. My group manages our
>>> installation with git and it would make my life a ton easier if this
>>> were the case.
>>>
>>> I don't remember when they were put back into the "master". They used to be
>>> more separate.
>>
>> Wrong. Plugins developed and maintained by the Roundcube developers
>> always have been part of the master git repository together with the
>> code code. The planned composer-based plugin repository is meant for
>> 3rd party plugins. The main goal of that repository is to allow plugin
>> developers to publish their modules on a centralized platform and
>> allow Roundcube sysadmins to pull them into their local installations.
>> That isn't necessary for core plugins because they're already part of
>> the distribution package.
> The plugins were in their own tree in SVN. Maybe that's what I meant.

Yes, they were back in the SVN times. But even there, it was one repository
holding all plugins not individual repositories for each plugin.

But I don't say that moving the core plugins to composer is a bad idea. So
far my intention of the plugin repository didn't consider that step but it
might.

~Thomas