[RCD] Strange link, not fully being recognized as a link in plain text messages

Rimas Kudelis rq at akl.lt
Sat Aug 10 09:04:13 CEST 2013

Hi,

2013.08.09 19:44, Michael Heydekamp wrote:
> Am 08.08.2013 11:53, schrieb Sébastien BLAISOT:
>
>> Thunderbird act the same way because it is an RFC requirement.
>>
>> The pipe character, according to RFC 1738 is unsafe in an URL and must be encoded.
>> quoting page 2 of said RFC :
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> All unsafe characters must always be encoded within a URL.
>> so this appears to be a bug in rapidshare.com which doesn't respect RFC
>> rather than a bug in roundcube.
> But Roundcube DID/DOES detect this is a link in a HTML message. Either it
> should always or never detect it as a link. I'd prefer always, in the worst
> case the link doesn't work.

I guess you're forgetting that in case of an HTML message, it's the
sender's user agent that makes that link clickable by adding the
appropriate markup. I highly doubt that Roundcube does that on
receiver's end.

That said, it seems to me that the RFC quoted has aged and become at
least a bit outdated. "Other characters are unsafe because gateways and
other transport agents are known to sometimes  modify such characters"
is a week rationale, at least in my opinion. By the way, the RFC also
lists "~" as an unsafe character, but I don't think I've ever seen it
being encoded, and it's used quite commonly with mod_userdir.

> On another issue: Why can't I switch between the HTML and text part in the
> message I'm just responding to...?

Separate threads for separate issues, please. Unless of course you're
fine with other people missing these separate issues. :)

Regards,
Rimas