[RCD] Codebase cleanup, PSR-1/2 compliance - and before you say no, I'm offering to do the work

David Deutsch skoremail at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 21:15:11 CEST 2013

Hey everybody,

I'm David and I would like to help out. Starting on any project, it's
usually best to get familiar with the codebase.

Now - I really enjoy combing through and cleaning up codebases and that's
usually a great way to do just that.

To give an example, I've recently done this to RedBeanPHP, you can check
out the details here:

Discussion: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/redbeanorm/S8EnZTIZPDE

Repository: https://github.com/gabordemooij/redbean

Pull Requests:

https://github.com/gabordemooij/redbean/pull/281
https://github.com/gabordemooij/redbean/pull/282
https://github.com/gabordemooij/redbean/pull/289

So - in a nutshell, that's what I'm offering to do for Roundcube.

Examples, picked at random:

/plugins/archive/archive.php
Original:
https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/blob/master/plugins/archive/archive.php
Cleanup: https://gist.github.com/daviddeutsch/6285028

/installer/rcube_install.php
Original:
https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/blob/master/installer/rcube_install.php
Cleanup: https://gist.github.com/daviddeutsch/6285286

/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_vcard.php
Original:
https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/blob/master/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_vcard.php
Cleanup: https://gist.github.com/daviddeutsch/6285504

All as one commit:
https://github.com/daviddeutsch/roundcubemail/commit/568051120f98070b554bc0879dd8854fb0e204c5

I like code concise and self explanatory. I think if there are more than
three indents (within a function), you can usually simplify the code and
make it easier to understand while you're at it. I actually, weirdly, enjoy
a 80 character line limit and while I usually prefer tabs (I disagree with
PSR-2 on that), I'm fine coding with 4 spaces for indentation.

I'd be happy to accommodate to special customs, of course, although I do
think that sticking to PSR - flawed as it may be in spots - really helps
enable collaboration by convention. Let me know if this sounds like
something that would at all be welcome in this project.

best regards,
David Deutsch