[RCD] Ready for the big 1?

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Thu Feb 7 20:04:24 CET 2013

Dominic Lüchinger wrote:
>> Do you think Roundcube deserves the version 1.0?
>
> Yes. We use a single RC installation for more than 20'000 email accounts
> and 4000-5000 logins a day.
> We wrote some custom plugins to grant only our customers to log in and to
> integrate 3rd party tools.
> So far we are very happy with the latest release and especially the new
> look and feel by Büro Flint.

Great!

>> Together with this simple yes-no question, I'd also like to give you
>> the opportunity to submit your personal "1.0 wish list".
>
> - Some customers are requesting a mobile friendly skin. We see at the
> moment no need, due the easy installation of an email account via a mobile
> mail client app.

This has been requested several times and we'll take it on the roadmap, I
suppose.

> - Extending the preview of attachments. Provide a rendered image of the
> attachment and links with in a message
> -- e.g. like Mac's Quick Look or the Gloobus Preview (
> http://gloobus.net/gloobus-preview/)

We just added the image previews and there are plugins to even render Open
Office Documents and PDFs inline. However, they don't do it in a
gallery-style way as you suggested.

> - API binding / interface to integrate 3rd party storage providers
> (Dropbox, Evernote, Box, ..)
> -- something that https://attachments.me/ is doing for gmail

Good point! I once played around with integrating ownCloud for this purpose
but we're not there yet.

> - Central Plugin repository: I know, there is some work going on with a
> modified packagist service.
> -- IMHO: A good solution will boost the quality and usage of plugins. E.g.
> Wordpress and other CMS have a huge base of handy addons.

That's on the way and should be released before/with 1.0.

> - Better IE support for older versions. I know that IE 6-8 are a pain to
> support. But some of our customers have really old browsers -> corporate IT
> infrastructure with Outlook (but restricted), no access to install an
> alternative Browser, old Windows and old IE (legacy Intranet only works
> with IE6 - IE8), bored at work and use the RC to break out

We still support IE7+ and the old skin is supposed to work even with IE6.
But to be honest, if somebody really wants to support 10+ year old
software, they should pay for it.

> - Although we are very happy with the new UI, there are some new UI and
> concept kids on the block. IMHO: The UI iteration newer stops.
> -- http://www.vanschneider.com/work/mail/
> -- http://www.uniboxapp.com/blog
> -- http://www.getmailbird.com/
> -- http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/18/aol-alto-cloud-based-email-client/
> -- http://moargh.de/fhp/appendix/
> --- quite cool: http://incom.org/workspace/3189 -> List of 7 UI concepts

Nice things, indeed. I already knew some of them but they are truly
interesting. It's mostly a skinning thing but probably some workflow
changes would be necessary in the core as well.

> Most of the things we'd like to see, are optional and nice to have. Thanks
> for all the excellent work.

Thank you for your feedback!

~Thomas