[RCD] Release 0.9-beta ready for download

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Mon Jan 7 22:58:37 CET 2013

Dear friends of Roundcube

We're proud to announce the beta release of the next major version
0.9. With this milestone we introduce some important changes under the
hood as well as some nice and long-awaited features:

* First of all, the Roundcube Framework. The core classes providing
the strong base of Roundcube's functionality have been extracted and
decoupled into a Framework package. They can be used individually in
other open source projects looking for solid functionality around
IMAP, SMTP, MIME-handling and more.

* Another major change is the new database abstraction. In order to
add support for SQLite3 the PEAR:MDB2 dependency was dropped and
Roundcube now uses the native PHP Data Objects (PDO). ATTENTION: due a
small lack in the MySQL PDO driver, this version of Roundcube requires
PHP 5.3 when using the MySQL database.

* Finally we also added some new features:
  - Download all attachments as zip archive (zip module required)
  - Render thumbnails for image attachments (imagemagick is recommended)
  - Compose and mail view in new windows (configurable in user settings)
  - Upload attachment files and contact photos with drag & drop
  - Forward multiple emails as attachments
  - Show contact photos in mail view
  - CSV import for contacts

And of course plenty of small improvements and bug fixes.

See the complete Changelog at http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Changelog
and download the new packages from http://roundcube.net/download.
Please note that this is still a beta release and we recommend to test
it on a separate environment. And don't forget to backup your data
before installing.

Have fun and let us know how the new Roundcube performs in your environment.

Cheers,
Thomas

P.S. We're still looking for volunteers helping us to keep the
translations of the Roundcube UI up-to-date. To make it even easier
for you, we recently moved to Transifex. Visit our project at
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/roundcube-webmail/ and join our
translation teams.