[RCD] sig dashes broken in 1.0-git?

Arne Berglund aberglund at lesd.k12.or.us
Thu Jun 6 21:33:00 CEST 2013

On 2013-06-06 12:10, Michael Heydekamp wrote:
> Hmm, not sure if I understand you correctly:
>
> Does Thunderbird not offer an option to NOT remove anything below the
> standard sig dashes ("-- ")? I'm not using Thunderbird, so I really
> don't
> know that. But hard to believe that it does have no such option.
>
> But if it does have such option, why not simply enabling it...?
>
> Anyway, am I seeing it correct that the three-dash sig separator is not
> standard then, but just a sort of, hmm, workaround for DAUs (please
> don't
> ask what a DAU is, too hard to explain ;-))?
>
> Cheers,

Indeed, I don't believe the three-dashes is a standard. But then, I
couldn't say myself whether two-dash-WSP is a documented standard (RFC)
either. Perhaps it is, but if so it is used so inconsistently in the
real world that I wouldn't consider it to bind me if I were a developer.
Encourage proper us? Yes. Try to force it? Probably futile.

Unlike Roundcube (which has a user-pref whether to strip signatures or
not), Thunderbird does not appear to have an option to disable that
behavior. (Or rather, I've not been able to find it, nor have more
experienced Thunderbird users with whom I work.) Nor is it feasible to
ask anyone to whom my users might send to change their email client
prefs.

--
Arne Berglund
System Administrator, Internet Services