[RCD] The identities_list hook

Philipp Kewisch pkewisch at linagora.com
Fri Jun 7 14:01:22 CEST 2013

On 6/6/13 3:19 PM, A.L.E.C wrote:
> On 06/04/2013 05:47 PM, Philipp Kewisch wrote:
>> Alternatively, is there another way to intercept the identities and user
>> management? We would like to use our own user management backend.
> Maybe for your use-case would be better to replace the whole
> $RCMAIL->user object with some new class where you could overwrite
> methods used for identities management.

Indeed, replacing the whole rcube_user class with my own implementation
is ideal, I haven't gone this route because there is some code that
assumes rcube_user is the only class to handle users and this sounds
more invasive to me.

I initially tried to just call set_user() from the init function of the
plugin, but this is already too late. Also I found out there are a few
static functions that are called on rcube_user which need to be called
on my class.

To fix this here is my new proposal. The functions are not tested, but
give you an idea where I'm going:

* Add a method to class rcube that allows replacing classes, i.e:
    function factory($rcubeClass, $args) {
       $cls = array( "className" => $rcubeClass);
       $cls = $this->plugins->exec_hook("factory", $cls);
       return call_user_func_array($cls["className"], $args);
   }

* Add a method to class rcube that calls static methods of factory classes:
    function staticfactory($rcubeClass, $method, $args) {
       $cls = array( "className" => $rcubeClass);
       $cls = $this->plugins->exec_hook("factory", $cls);
       return call_user_func_array(array($cls["className"], $method),
$args);
   }
* Change everything that creates rcube_user or calls its static methods
to use these functions

How does this sound for you? I'd like to bring roundcube to a state
where we can do everything from a plugin.

Thanks,
Philipp