[RCD] sig dashes broken in 1.0-git?

Michael Heydekamp listuser at freexp.de
Fri Jun 7 20:44:37 CEST 2013

Am 07.06.2013 08:32, schrieb A.L.E.C:
> On 06/06/2013 08:45 PM, Michael Heydekamp wrote:

>> uh, I must admit that this standard (?) with three sig dashes (without WSP)
>> for top-posted replies is totally new to me, thanks for the input. Is this
>> documented somewhere (RFCs)...? And what's the sense of and reason for it?
>
> No standard, but everybody knows top-posting is evil.

Uh! I honestly beg to differ, but I'd wish you were right. Of course
top-posting is evil, but I seriously doubt that everybody knows it. Outlook
has unfortunately managed to make top posting a worldwide "standard" through
the last decades, especially in business environments.

So these folks are using this way of quoting also in private e-mail.
Nowadays most people have no clue anymore of the good old inline quoting.
Not everybody has started his "mail career" in the mailbox networks of the
eighties.

> I don't want to receive messages from top-posters with standard separator.
> We (Roundcube) will not help to produce "broken" messages.

Well, (fortunately) Roundcube does in fact help, as it doesn't touch a
standard separator if being included in the sig itself already (even when
top-posting). ;-) And please don't change that.

Plus, that a top posting with standard separator is not necessarily broken.
It may even be deliberate.

>> My default setting is indeed top-posting, because most people I'm in touch
>> with, are unfortunately not familiar with inline quoting. The problem is,
>
> If they are not familiar with "standard" quoting, why do you care about
> separator in mail sent to them?

What you call "standard quoting", is nowadays and in real life not a
standard anymore. :-( And again, I agree that it's a pity, but a fact.

>> that, depending on the person I'm replying to, I do not always use
>> top-posting. In those cases I'm moving the the sig to the bottom of the
>> mail.
>
> Aha. That I can understand, but this is another story (feature request).

Right. I already mentioned this already here and there in this list, that it
would be most convenient to have an addressbook-specific option how to reply
to this particular user.

But even then the way of quoting may sometimes change from message to
message during a discussion with the same user...

Cheers,
--
Michael Heydekamp
Co-Admin freexp.de