[RCD] Top-posting and signature below the quote

Michael Heydekamp listuser at freexp.de
Fri Mar 22 19:10:24 CET 2013

Am 22.03.2013 08:37, schrieb A.L.E.C:
> On 03/21/2013 09:59 PM, Michael Heydekamp wrote:

>> reply_mode=0 (inline quoting):
>> ------------------------------
>> intro template
>> [cursor position]
>>> quoted text
>> signature
>
> Cursor position is another thing and (correct me) currently we have
>
>> intro template
>>> quoted text
>> [cursor position]
>> signature

Yes, that's what we currently have.

> and for me it's better.

Because...?

A typical inline quoting (at least how I've learned it in the mid-eighties
in FidoNet and also later on in Usenet) doesn't place a full-reply below a
full-quote, but it does look this way:

-------------------
> quote quote quote
reply reply reply
> quote quote quote
reply reply reply
> quote quote quote
reply reply reply
[...]
-------------------

That also means that paragraphs/lines the recipient doesn't need or want to
reply to, shall be deleted.

And with this procedure (replying to and probably deleting parts of the
quote) you want to start from the top of course, not from the bottom. That's
why the cursor position below the intro template does make more sense to me.

But if there should be sound reasons to place the cursor below the quote in
the case of inline quoting (currently I couldn't think of any), it could be
made an option...? Preferably together with the selection of the quoting
style (rather than having a separate option):

- Top posting
- Inline quoting (cursor below quote)
- Inline quoting (cursor above quote)

Or however "Top posting" and "Inline quoting" shall be phrased.

Cheers,
--
Michael Heydekamp
Co-Admin freexp.de