[RCD] Mobile skin

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Fri May 3 12:30:54 CEST 2013

Thomas Bruederli wrote:
>> Messages list widget is indeed very desktop-specific and changing it to
>> other HTML element would be very hard. There's a lot of logic
>> (selecting, dragging, threading, sorting, etc.) that depends on TABLE
>> structure. Many actions depends on this and list.js code.
>
> That's absolutely true and that's (hopefully) the only component that
> would require changes in the core to make a mobile skin reality.
> Beside the table structure which isn't not very handy, I assume having
> something like checkboxes for row selection might be necessary as
> well.
>
>> If you really want to do it. You could keep the table, but make it
>> invisible (display:none) and bind to insertrow event to create your own
>> list (and add rows to it). However, you'll still need to write a lot of
>> javascript code to handle all actions on the list. You'll need at least
>> to re-write the whole list.js code.

As of commit https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/commit/517dae3e74
we have the list handling code refactored to move towards what you need for
a mobile skin. With the recent changes you can now generate <ul> or <div>
style lists with

<roundcube:object name="messages" id="messagelist" tagname="ul"
 noheader="true" />

Please note that some functionality such as column-rearrangement will only
work with the default table tag but I assume that doesn't matter on mobile
devices anyway.

We'll continue with an option to show checkboxes for row selection which
currently still happens on simple clicks. So stay tuned...

Please let us know if you can advance with mobile skin development now and
what's still missing.

Regards,
Thomas