[RCD] Another format=flowed issue: Dashes replaced with spaces, format f*cked up!?

Michael Heydekamp listuser at freexp.de
Thu May 9 23:26:51 CEST 2013

Sorry, but...

this format=flowed is killing me. Whenever I'm testing something, I'm
running against another wall.

Look at my previous message: Some of the dashed lines above and below the
quoted paragraphs do not start at the beginning of the line (as I entered
them in the plain text editor), but three positions later. Screenshot
attached.

First I thought the lines were indented, but then it appeared to me that the
first three dashes have been replaced with spaces - either in the display or
in the message source itself upon sending.

What I found:

1) It happens only with format=flowed
2) 8bit or qp don't make a difference
3) line length MAY play a role, but I'm not sure
4) The quote level needs to be > 1

Apart from the screenshot, the following files are attached:

- the original text as being entered in the editor (message.txt)
- the message sources as being sent in all variations (message [*].src)
  (just the relevant body part, without headers and signature)

The format of the flowed messages does look really strange, the qp versions
even more than the 8bit versions. Even if this behaviour should be
deliberate (which I honestly doubt), then the qp encoding does look insane
to me. But that's again a different issue, then.

I wasn't able to dig any deeper, but I hope this analysis may help already.

And I'm wondering: Am I really the only one seeing those kind of things...?
I mean, the most relevant task of any MUA is displaying, composing and
replying to (= quoting) messages. ;-)

Usually, I'm not using format=flowed, now I'm even more convinced to stick
to this position...

Cheers,
--
Michael Heydekamp