[RCD] mail_host

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Wed Oct 16 09:25:57 CEST 2013

Cor Bosman wrote:
> Hey all,  I know in the past there has been some discussion about the need for mail_host. In our specific setup mail_host is really a huge pita. For example, we allow customer service employees to impersonate a customer. This is done through a specific imap server that allows impersonation. But this doesn't work, because roundcube will create a new config entry in the database because the imap server changed. Even though from our point of view, the imap servers deal with the same user base.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to have a config option $config['mail_host'] = false;

Yes, it's probably about time to address this. While there are still
scenarios and setups out there that require the host to uniquely identify a
user, I also understand the problems the current behavior inherits.

> if you set this to a specific mail_host, the mail_host column is always set to that config option.

First I wanted to solve this automatically (e.g. use mail_host if the
username isn't a fully qualified email address) but that most likely
doesn't cover all cases either. So a config option would be a proper
solution, I guess.

Any objections or other opinions?

~Thomas