[RCD] focused messages - dotted outline

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Thu Oct 24 22:37:55 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM, Charles McNulty
<charles at charlesmcnulty.com> wrote:
> Hello team,

Hello Charles

> I spent quite a few hours back in 2006 "scratching my own itch" in the
> roundcube code.  I haven't had much time to work on it since then, but I
> happen to have some time at the moment to dedicate to the project.

Welcome back!

If you want us to get you commit rights to our github repository, just
let us know. You previously contributed good work to Roundcube and
we're happy to get you back. Or if you're comfortable with sending
pull requests, we'll gladly accept them of course.

> I just submitted a pull request that will make "control-click" and
> "control-arrow-key" behave more like a native application.  One thing that
> has always bothered my about the roundcube layout is that there's no way to
> know which message in the list has the "focus" in cases where the focus is
> separate from the selected message.  For instance if you select a message,
> and then CTRL-click that same message, it will be unselected, but it still
> has the focus, because if you then click the down arrow it will select the

Keyboard navigation per se isn't really implemented in Roundcube and
the UI likely doesn't behave correctly.
That's actually on the roadmap somewhere...

> The css "outline" attribute would work for this, but there are some
> inconsistencies with where exactly each browser places the outline - and IE
> (including IE10) does not support the outline-offset attribute at all, which
> means that the outline doesn't work very well in IE (no surprise).
>
> To see what I mean, you can insert the following style into styles.css:
>
>     .records-table tr.focused {
>         outline:1px dotted black;
>         outline-offset: -1px;
>     }

I didn't have the time to review that yet. But I'll also have a look into this.

Kind regards,
Thomas