[RCD] keyboard documentation and further ideas

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Thu Oct 24 22:42:05 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Charles McNulty
<charles at charlesmcnulty.com> wrote:
> I scoured the code for keyboard handling and here's what I found:
>
> Message & Contact List (unless otherwise noted):
>
>         Up and down arrow keys: Select next/previous item
>
>         When selecting a message in a thread:
>                 Plus/minus keys: Open/close the thread
>                 Spacebar: Toggles thread open and closed
>                 +/= key: Open thread (firefox - not chrome)
>
>         Page-up/page-down: Load previous/next page
>         Home/end: Select first/last item
>         Enter key: Show message (not applicable to contacts)
>         Escape key: Cancel mouse drag (mid-drag)
>         Delete key: Delete selected items
>         Backspace key: Delete selected messages only (does not work for
> contacts)
>
> It doesn't look like this is documented anywhere.  Anyone care to add this
> to the wiki?  I'd be happy to create/manage a wiki page for key-bindings, or
> it could just be added to the User_Guide page.

I recently started a new documentation approach for Roundcube. See
http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Online_Help for details. That'll
definitely the place to describe keyboard navigation.

> Personally, I think they could be tweaked though, and maybe that should
> happen before documenting the behavior.
>
> 1) The (+/=) key support is browser dependent, and could probably just be
> dropped.
>
> 2) The backspace key works for messages but not contacts and seems redundant
> with the delete key - additionally some people use the backspace key for
> "back" in a browser.  I'm not suggesting we support using the backspace key
> for browser-back, but I am suggesting that we might not want to delete
> messages if a user presses it intending to go back.

Please keep in mind that Mac keyboards nowadays don't have a delete
key anymore and Mac users are used to press the backspace to delete
things. Thus at least for Macs, the backspace key should trigger
deletion.

> 3) I think that we should add left/right cursor (arrow) key support to
> expand/collapse threads.

Sounds reasonable.

Cheers,
Thomas