[RCD] feedback regarding larry

Kelsey Cummings kgc at corp.sonic.net
Fri Oct 25 01:13:41 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 08:53:32AM +0200, Thomas Bruederli wrote:
> It was a decision right from the beginning of this project to make it look
> like a desktop application and to not use checkboxes.

I know that this is controversial.

We tried to replace squirrel mail with roundcube and got absolutely
burned by our userbase over the lack of checkboxes.  The simple fact is
that most users do not understand "native app modality."  It was
perfectly clear that if we did not mod RC to support checkboxes that we
could not move forward and deploy RC.

The second biggest problem was support for mobile and tablet users.  No
scroll bars, no check boxes, no way to "right click".  We were able
modify the roundcubeskins.net mobile skin to the point that was at least
functional but they are not very well optimized or pretty.

We'd be happy to pay a bounty for fully supported checkboxes, and a well
optimized skin for phone/phablet/tablet sized screens with automatic
switching.  Roundcube would be in a much stronger position if these
we're readily available everyone.

--
Kelsey Cummings - kgc at corp.sonic.net      sonic.net, inc.
System Architect                          2260 Apollo Way