[RCD] keyboard documentation and further ideas

Michael Heydekamp listuser at freexp.de
Tue Oct 29 23:23:22 CET 2013

Am 24.10.2013 22:42, schrieb Thomas Bruederli:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Charles McNulty
>
>> 2) The backspace key works for messages but not contacts and seems redundant
>> with the delete key - additionally some people use the backspace key for
>> "back" in a browser.  I'm not suggesting we support using the backspace key
>> for browser-back, but I am suggesting that we might not want to delete
>> messages if a user presses it intending to go back.
>
> Please keep in mind that Mac keyboards nowadays don't have a delete
> key anymore and Mac users are used to press the backspace to delete
> things.

OT:

Unbelievable! So if you want do delete the next character right to the
cursor on a Mac, you first have to press cursor-right and then backspace?

Indeed I didn't find a better solution when recently having a Mac machine
and keyboard in front of me (just to test a Roundcube issue, BTW), but I was
honestly thinking that I was just too dumb and not familiar enough with a
Mac keyboard. Now you're telling me that I really can't do that because
Apple wants to save ... what? Keys, material, money?

Or did typical Mac users never realize the benefit of a Del key anyway, so
that Apple just capitulated before the majority of their amateurish users?

No offense, though, I'm just extremely affected. And I love the haptics of a
Mac keyboard (at least of the ones I occasionally worked with), wish that I
would have it on my new Dell laptop.

Sorry for OT.

Cheers,
--