[RCD] Documentation efforts

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Thu Sep 19 18:30:00 CEST 2013

Hello folks

One item on the 1.0 roadmap is to improve documentation for Roundcube. I
recently started some efforts to achieve this. Now I'd like to ask you for
proof-reading, review and contribution.

First, I tried to clean the wiki pages that describe Roundcube's
installation, configruation and upgrading. Please review the pages from the
Trac wiki [1] listed under "Getting Started". As you can see, there are
still some "TBD." present. Also, the FAQ page is totally outdated and
should be re-written completely.

Everybody is welcome to make corrections and additions directly on the wiki.

Second, I started to write some end-user documentation AKA online help. The
pages are written in reST and generated with Sphinx which I found to be
very handy for this task. I therefore created a new git repository [2]
where all the sources are maintained and tried to summarize it in the
README file and on our wiki [3].

The help docs are structured in a way to allow additional contents from
plugins to be integrated. The idea behind all this is to provide a
framework what will let you generate your individual online help files that
describe all the components you chose for your Roundcube installation, even
with screenshots from your custom skins. The generated files can then be
linked into the help plugin with context-sensitive deep-links [4].

A first release of the online help for version 0.9 can be found here:
http://roundcube.net/doc/help/0.9/en_US/

Again, I'd like to invite you all to read through these documents and make
corrections or additions by sending pull requests to the
roundcube/roundcubemail-helpdocs github repository.

Once we feel comfortable with the English version, translation into other
languages can start.

Thank you all for your support!

Thomas

P.S. The help docs as you can see them online are sponsored by Kolab
Systems and the Kolab Groupware project as they basically paid me for
writing them. Thanks a lot for this, guys!

[1] http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki
[2] https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail-helpdocs
[3] http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Online_Help
[4]