[RCD] preferences tab/section

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Tue Sep 24 22:29:47 CEST 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Cor Bosman <cor at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>> I can create a tab, no problem. Many of my plugins do that :)
>>>
>>> I can create a new section under general, no problem.
>>>
>>> But I want pluggable sections under a new tab :)
>>
>> Understood.
>>>
>>> Anyways, what im doing now is i made a plugin that creates a new tab, and has a hook where plugins can register for a section. This works fine. Im seeing a set of plugins. But then I also have to make my own preferences_list and preferences_save unfortunately.  Unless there is some trick im missing on how i could re-use those settings functions.
>>
>> You could make your plugin hook into the 'preferences_sections_list' and
>> 'preferences_list' hooks and re-arrange the items that have been added by
>> the plugins you want to gather. Just make sure your plugin is loaded
>> "after" the others that should make it receive the hook events at the end.
>
> Could you elaborate? What do you mean by re-arrange?

I'm sorry, unfortunately I didn't think that all through before
answering. Adding tabs is mostly done client side which is hard or
even impossible to intercept. And those plugins that add a new tabs
usually have their own skin templates that would not fit into the
iframe you have for "regular" preferences.

In short: I guess there's no way around a custom hook defined by your
plugin which is explicitly used by the other plugins you want to
gather.

Regards,
Thomas