[RCD] searching

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Mon Aug 18 09:20:25 CEST 2014

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Cor Bosman <cor at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hey all, im playing with searching and an FTS enabled mail server (dovecot) with 1.2 million emails. This works very well. But i wish there was a way to allow the full power of imap searching in roundcube. Roundcube only seems to allow a very limited set.
>
> For instance, in dovecot I can do:   SEARCH FROM COR TO ROUNDCUBE BODY FOOBAR
>
> This will give me all emails matching From:*cor* , To:*roundcube* where anywhere in the body it says foobar. And with FTS lucene engine this is fast :)
>
> Would it be an idea to allow the keyword raw, so you could say in the roundcube search box:  raw:FROM COR TO ROUNDCUBE BODY FOOBAR  , which passes that search string unaltered to the backend imap server?

Using this raw keyword seems feasible but remains an ultimate
power-user/nerdy feature. We'd like to make these search capabilities
available to all users. Maybe by adding an advanced search form
similar to the one from the advanced-search plugin [1].

Is there a certain IMAP capability related to this FTS support in
dovecot? Roundcube should be able to compose the "right" search
command according to the server's capabilities.

There's also the fuzzy search imap extension proposal defined in RFC
6203 [2] which at some point I wanted to investigate. Maybe the
efforts to support these two extended search mechanisms can be joined.

~Thomas

[1] http://plugins.roundcube.net/packages/gms-sa/advanced-search
[2] http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6203.txt