[RCD] URLs with 8bit chars?

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Sat Feb 22 13:35:13 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> Roundcube does not fully recognize URLs with 8bit chars, they are being
>>> truncated upon the first occurrence of any such 8 bit char
>
> where does roundcube need to recognize any URL?
> in which context should it recognize what URL and why?

The context where Roundcube should (and does) try to recognize URLs is
when displaying a plain text message. For convenience reasons we want
to make detected URLs clickable and not leave the user to copy & paste
it. This is done using regular expressions and we hereby stick to the
RFC specification of allowed chars in URLs which doesn't include any
8bit characters. Indeed, it's stupid for mail senders to not properly
encode their URLs and unfortunately there's little we can and want do
about this. It's already hard enough to reliably detect URLs in a
plain text string, especially finding the end of it. If 8bit
characters should be taken into account as well, we'll likely add more
characters from the surrounding text to the URL which may leads to
false detections even for correctly encoded URLs.

Thus, I'm sorry but this is strictly a sender issue and in this case
you'd need to manually copy the URL and paste it to your browser's
location bar. You might argue that FF supports these URLs and you're
right. But unlike Roundcube, FF understands the entire string to be an
URL and doesn't need to "find" it within a random text. Therefore FF
can accept any string of characters. But also FF first converts it
into proper URL encoded characters before it actually sends the URL to
the server.

Kind regards,
Thomas