[RCD] BUG: please use @file_exists() instead of file_exists()

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon May 26 10:22:39 CEST 2014

Am 26.05.2014 09:48, schrieb Thomas Bruederli:
> On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>> [25-May-2014 05:45:01 Europe/Vienna] PHP Warning:  file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect.
>> File(vendor/autoload.php) is not within the allowed path(s):
>> (/usr/share/roundcubemail:/var/log/roundcubemail:/etc/roundcubemail:/usr/share/pear:/var/www/uploadtemp) in
>> /usr/share/roundcubemail/program/include/iniset.php on line 64
>>
>> GENERAL: please use @file_exists() everywhere to prevent such messages on production servers
>> running witeh E_ALL fro good reasons and sending twice an hour anything from the php errorlog
>> via email to the admin which normally is empty
>
> I clearly object against that. Suppressing errors with @ (or with any
> other means) should not become a GENERAL habit. Yes, we use @ within
> the Roundcube codebase but very selectively and we should even try to
> reduce its use. And if open_basedir moans about a prevented file
> access attempt, that's clearly something that should catch your
> attention in the logs.

no in that case @file_exists() is the way to go or just use
is_file() which don't throw open_basedir warnings for the
same path, that's a bad behavior of PHP where both functions
behave different in case of such checks for at least 11 years

if you have libraries which try to find conditional includes
file_exists('../whatever.inc.php'); called from the docroot
will throw such a warnining and calld from /popups/file.php
don't

@file_exists() *is* very selectively because it is a conditional
check if something exists and if not skip some action and that
is not something which should trigger warnings