[RCD] IMAP ID Bug found in Roundcube 1.0.1 in rcube_imap.php

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Nov 7 13:01:49 CET 2014

Am 07.11.2014 um 12:51 schrieb Cor Bosman:
>> On 07 Nov 2014, at 12:44, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> I dont know what roundcube itself does with that info, but I dont think it does anything 'dangerous' with it
>>
>> *but* dovecot may do depending on the configuration because forwarding that information has the simple reason that otherwise you can't enforce ip based access lists for webmail users
>>
>> finally that means: don't forward untrustable informations to dovecot
>>
>> doing so breaks until that happens sane and secure configurations and secure in that context means nobody but the server admin knows the big picture of proxies, NAT and access lists and hence is responsible to deal with that - that's why mod_remoteip exists
>
> Dovecot doesnt. All dovecot does with that information is log the x-forwarded-ip

and than on the server runs "fail2ban" enforcing blocking based on that
log - congratulations

with forwarding untrusted input over roundcube you have opened a easy to
use DOS because they only thing an attacker needs to do now is write a
script using the header with the IP he wants to lock out and send wrong
passwords

> if  and only if, your roundcube server is listed as a host that is
> allowed to providethat info.

yes, but the admin of the mailserver expects that his webmail is
trustable, by forwarding untrusted input that way that's no longer true
and i doubt that many people realize that it may lead in fail2ban become
vulernable

> I really fail to see the security implications as long as one realises this
> info is meant as a hint, not absolute fact

don't get me wrong but obviously is not your business and frankly
carelessly implented features by not looking at the big picture are the
root cause of most if not all security troubles we have to deal all day long

> It's still slightly more useful  than having the roundcube ip listed
> in your imap logfile. But YMMV.

AGAIN: that is all fine as long you are using $_SERVER['REMOTE_IP'] but
if you start to use untrusted headers and so bypass mod_remoteip you
trigger security holes and unexpected and uncontrollable behavior

it is *not* your business inside the web-application deal with proxy-headers