[RCD] How to pass cookies or session from roundcube webmail to

martijn.thie at kpn.com martijn.thie at kpn.com
Mon Feb 9 09:58:48 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 11:26 PM, Avinash P <avinashp12015 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >     I have to pass session or cookis from roundcube webmail to chat
> > application for currently login users
>
> In order to get a sophisticated answer to your question, you should come up
> with a more detailed description of what you're trying to do and what you
> have so far.
>
> In general, session cookies are bound to the hostname but can be extended
> to the entire domain using the $config['session_domain'] config option in
> Roundcube. If the session cookie reaches the server of your chat application,
> you can re-use Roundcube sessions by reading them from the same
> database where Roundcube stores its data. But as said, if you expect a more
>  specific response, we need more details to help you.
>
> Kind regards,
> Thomas

In general I would say that you should never re-use sessions, but instead let the client setup separate sessions for each application. Re-using sessions can lead to a lot of problems. Most of the times, if you need information from another application, just use the API.
My guess is that you want to re-use the authenticated account rather then you would re-use the session. If you're looking for single-sing-on functionality, you'll probably should build a plugin that hooks into the authentication functionality.
There are several examples of those online. Please take a look at these links:
http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Plugin_Repository
http://trac.roundcube.net/browser/github/plugins/http_authentication/http_authentication.php

Regards,
Martijn