[RCD] HTML Editor

Michael Heydekamp listuser at freexp.de
Sat Jul 25 21:44:44 CEST 2015


Am 24.07.2015 08:43, schrieb A.L.E.C:
> On 07/24/2015 12:26 AM, Michael Heydekamp wrote:
> 
>> Is the HTML editor of Roundcube a topic here at all? I haven't seen many
>> posts about it here (only 2 of 11,418 that I have in the dev list folder),
>> so I'm raising this question before I'm going to complain about lots of
>> issues that I'm having with it.
> 
> Sure, but personally I don't like messing with the HTML editor ;) And
> it's external code.

Thanks for response, Alec.

That's what I thought and I can very well understand it. OTOH the HTML
editor is integrated in RC and should be usable (at least to a certain
extent). Currently it's driving me nuts, and as RC is the only mail client
I'm using, there's no way around for me to struggle with it.

>> 1) If I decide to change the identity during (or after) composing, the whole
>>    text is gone! Apparently this is because the text (in this example just
>>    "Test", but in can be lots of pages) is inserted after the
>>    "<div id="_rc_sig">. If I manually move this line in the source behind
>>    the text (but before the signature), then I can change the identity
>>    during omposing without any problem. But this can't be the way it should
>>    work, as you can't expect the average Roundcube user to edit the HTML
>>    source.
> 
> Did you try with different browser?

I tried with FF only.

> the <p> </p> line is there to give you an opportunity to enter text
> before the signature.

If that is the intention of that line, it doesn't work. At least not when
composing a new message. I have seen different behaviour here and there when
composing a new message vs. replying to another one, but it's really hard to
track how this beast will behave. It doesn't seem to be consistent.

> I think it's also because handling of <div>s in the editor is not very
>  intuitive and for example you can't put cursor before the <div> if it's
> the first element (if I remember correctly).

You are most probably right.

> TinyMCE supports <div> elements but there are some issues and they
> definitely might be confusing for people not familiar with HTML.

Well, but users should not necessarily be HTML experts to compose a HTML
message.

>> 2) The "<p> </p>" is disturbing as it causes an unnecessary blank
>>    line/paragraph at the top of the message which can not be easily removed.
>>    At least I didn't find a good and always working way yet.
> 
> Put cursor in that line and press Delete key. Works for me in Firefox.
> What are your signature position settings? Why do you say it is
> unnecessary? You're supposed to put some text before the signature, no?

Exactly, but it doesn't work this way. As I'm writing business messages, I
use top posting (signature before quote).

If I press the Del key when composing a new message, I just delete the NEXT
line and am still writing "within" the signature (which causes the text to
disappear when changing the identity, as described above). Backspace should
delete the previous blank line/paragraph (i.e. the "<p> </p>"), but it
doesn't do that.

Sometimes I managed to get rid of it, but don't ask me how. My impression is
that you first need to type a longer text before you have a chance to get
rid of this first empty line/paragraph.

Furthermore, looking at the source of some of my sent messages, I'm seeing
lots of superfluos and insane HTML declarations at the beginning of a
message, such as (I'm line-formatting and un-QP'ing them for better
readability) - this is an example WITH the blank paragraph at the top
because of the "<p> </p>":

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> <html>
> <head>
> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
> </head>
> <body style='font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif'>
> <p> </p>
> <div>
> <div class="pre" style="margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: monospace">
> <span class="sig" style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">
> Hello Nicolas,</span></div>
> <div class="pre" style="margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: monospace"> </div>
> <div class="pre" style="margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: monospace">
> <span class="sig" style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">
> so I understand that [... bla blubb ...]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "body-style" tag correctly declares a sans-serif font family, which is
then overridden in a "div class" declaration with a monospace font, which is
then overridden in the next line with sans-serif again, then (after the
salutation "Hello Nicolas") again - and even twice! - overridden with
monospace, which is then - as the message continues - overridden with
sans-serif again.

Jesus - what sense does that code bloat make...?

This is a similar example, but WITHOUT the blank paragraph at the top
because it's lacking of the "<p> </p>" (however I managed that):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> <html>
> <head>
> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
> </head>
> <body style='font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif'>
> <div>
> <div class="pre" style="margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: monospace">
> <span class="sig" style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">
> Hallo Niki,</span></div>
> <div class="pre" style="margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: monospace"> </div>
> <div class="pre" style="margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: monospace">
> <span class="sig" style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">
> ich hab Dich bei den beiden letzten Mails [... bla blubb ...]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm attaching the source of my sig, just in case you want (and have the
patience) to play with it.

Please let me know if we can/want to deal with these issues here one by one
(because the solution of one issue might fix other issues as well). Then
I'll try to describe them in detail and in a replicable way. This
description is a lot of work, so I'll do it only if someone will be dealing
with it.

Cheers,
-- 
Michael Heydekamp
Co-Admin freexp.de
Düsseldorf/Germany
-------------- n�chster Teil --------------
Ein Dateianhang mit Bin�rdaten wurde abgetrennt...
Dateiname   : sig_src.zip
Dateityp    : application/zip
Dateigr��e  : 11357 bytes
Beschreibung: nicht verf�gbar
URL         : <http://lists.roundcube.net/pipermail/dev/attachments/20150725/b5d690f9/attachment.zip>


More information about the dev mailing list