[RCD] Localizing skins

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Thu Jun 18 14:18:29 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 10:38 PM, martijn.list <martijn.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hello Martijn

> Is it possible to add localization files (i.e., files like en_US.inc
> etc.) to a skin? I know how to add these language files to a plugin but
> I was wondering whether this is supported by a skin as well?

Localization files are directly supported in skins but there's a
hidden and undocumented features that lets you defined multi-lingual
labels inside skin templates. Use the <roundcube:label ... /> tag [1]
for this and add translations by settings attributes with language
codes like this:

  <roundcube:label name="my.custom.label" en_US="My Label" de_DE="Mein
Text" nl_NL="..." />

Together with the (also undocumented) attribute noshow="true", you can
even load your custom texts from an include file in your skin folder
(e.g. texts.html):

  <roundcube:label name="my.custom.label" en_US="My Label" ... nowhow="true" />

and later use them with their name and in the actual template:

  <roundcube:include file="texts.html" />
  <roundcube:label name="my.custom.label" />

Note to myself: add this to the skin markup documentation.

Best,
Thomas

[1] http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Doc_SkinML#roundcube:label