[RCD] Say goodbye to Trac

John Manko john.manko at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:35:42 CEST 2016

This is great!  I have a really big suggestion I'll propose as my first
issue. ;)

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Thomas Bruederli <roundcube at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello again and thanks for all your feedback!
>
> @Rob, many thanks for your offer but only the cleaning out of the 1M
> mostly fake user profiles from the database would keep you or me busy
> for hours. Since everybody seems to be happy working with github, I
> guess we'll take the most obvious path. I'll reserve some time the
> upcoming weekend to migrate the active tickets into the Roundcube
> github project. Older tickets will probably go into a separate project
> just to serve as an archive.
>
> I already activated the wiki feature at
> https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/wiki. We're now looking for
> volunteers to skim our Trac wiki and copy the pages which are still
> relevant into the Github wiki. I guess this has to be a manual process
> and is a good exercise to clean out all the old rubbish which doesn't
> apply anymore. So if anybody is willing to spend some time reviewing
> the wiki pages at http://trac.roundcube.net, please let us know.
>
> Kind regards,
> Thomas
>

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Thomas Bruederli <roundcube at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> We put ticket IDs in code comments and I found myself from time to time
> >> reading the old tickets to understand better the idea behind the
> >> specific code part.
> >>
> >> So, it would be really nice if we migrate all fixed tickets e.g. putting
> >> their old ID in subject line so we can search them.
> >
> > Good point! The migration script I was playing around would add a
> reference to the old ticket ID into the ticket body. Turns out githubs
> search function also captures that. So finding closed issues by their old
> ID is possible.
> >
> >> If we don't migrate open tickets, a read-only copy of trac online for
> >> some time would be also nice, so we could simply select the open tickets
> >> we think are important and move them manually to github.
> >
> > Migrating open tickets is the primary goal. For finding references to
> old tickets, running Trac in read-only mode could be an idea.
> >

> > Or we maintain a simple web service redirecting old trac ticket urls to
> the new github issues using an ID map generated during migration.
> >
> > ~Thomas

“If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of
their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks...will
deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on
the continent their fathers conquered... The issuing power should be taken
from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-- Thomas Jefferson