[RCD] Say goodbye to Trac

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 18:49:05 CET 2016

> On 24.02.2016, at 08:02, A.L.E.C <alec at alec.pl> wrote:
>
>> On 02/23/2016 09:12 PM, Thomas Bruederli wrote:
>> Anyway, please raise your voice with suggestions, concerns or offers
>> if you have experience with such a post-Trac situation.
>
> We put ticket IDs in code comments and I found myself from time to time
> reading the old tickets to understand better the idea behind the
> specific code part.
>
> So, it would be really nice if we migrate all fixed tickets e.g. putting
> their old ID in subject line so we can search them.

Good point! The migration script I was playing around would add a reference to the old ticket ID into the ticket body. Turns out githubs search function also captures that. So finding closed issues by their old ID is possible.

> If we don't migrate open tickets, a read-only copy of trac online for
> some time would be also nice, so we could simply select the open tickets
> we think are important and move them manually to github.

Migrating open tickets is the primary goal. For finding references to old tickets, running Trac in read-only mode could be an idea.

Or we maintain a simple web service redirecting old trac ticket urls to the new github issues using an ID map generated during migration.

~Thomas