[RCD] Roundcube Webmail 1.4 beta released

A.L.E.C alec at alec.pl
Mon Aug 27 09:22:06 CEST 2018

On 25.08.2018 21:50, Reindl Harald wrote:
> SASS and LESS are both nothing than abstraction layers aka frameworks

Still better over writing the css "by hand". Variables and nesting make
really a difference. I like your sentiment of not jumping from framework
to framework. Roundcube code and history shows we don't do this.

As it's mostly my code and was my own decision I'll explain the
reasoning why I chose less.
- I already had some small experience with it and have no sass
experience (especially considering tools).
- I like it's simplicity of development, i.e. simple use of less.min.js
for development (no css compilation needed)
- it also does not add many requirements to the project. Installing
lessc on my system was very simple. I can't say installing
Bootstrap/sass dependencies is simple (and tons of node deps just scares
me).

I don't say that we'll definitely not use sass in future. I considered
this. It would make sense because Bootstrap uses sass. So, we could for
example build more customized/optimized css output. However, I'm not
really interested in working on this right now, so if there's anyone who
would like to give it a try I'd like to see a pull request.

--
Aleksander 'A.L.E.C' Machniak
Kolab Groupware Developer         [http://kolab.org]