[RCD] Roundcube should include CalDAV / CardDav client in its core functionality

André Rodier andre at rodier.me
Wed Sep 26 14:44:58 CEST 2018

On 2018-09-26 12:26, A.L.E.C wrote:
> On 26.09.2018 12:47, André Rodier wrote:
>> Is there any planning to add a nice and well integrated calendar
>> feature
>> on Roundcube? What about adding a CardDAV client for the address book
>> as
>> well. Using the LDAP address book in Roundcube is already great, it
>> would be nice to have CardDAV integrated as well.
>
> I don't have such plans. I think it will be better if I focus on
> supporting core features that we already have. Maybe multi-account
> support in the future, things like that, things that cannot really be
> implemented as plugins.
>
> Calendaring, CardDAV, such features are not simple and require a lot of
> effort in implementation and support. We don't have resources to do
> this. And they can be implemented as plugins.

Thank you for your answer, and thanks for your huge work in involvement
in this.

1 - Is everything ready in RoundCube, to allow a smooth and well
integrated calendar and contact plugins using CalDAV and CardDAV ?
2 - Is there enough plug-in hooks and documentation and flexibility to
allow this? For instance, is it possible to make sure a calendar
invitation is displayed correctly, that the entry will be added in the
calendar and a confirmation email sent, when I press "accept"?
3 - Is there a way to get free/busy times from the address books when
organising an event?

More generally, is there any organised collaboration with the current
plug-in developers to make this happen? Why I have the feeling that a
lot of calendar plugins are regularly out-of-sync with the roundcube
core?

If I want to add a calendar to my Debian server, I will end up using
Sogo, which I don't find as convenient as RoundCube.

Kind regards,
André

--
https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox