[RCD] [Roundcube Announce] Update 1.4.1 released

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Fri Nov 22 13:23:17 CET 2019

Dear subscribers

Short time after the release of the stable version 1.4.0 of Roundcube
Webmail we already publish the first service release. With the recent
release we missed to mention a few breaking changes since the last stable
version 1.3. We apologize for this and are now clarifying and correcting
these:

Breaking changes
----------------
(since 1.3.x)

* new defaults for smtp_* config options:

Upon many requests and in order to get closer to the default setup of most
SMTP servers, we changed the defaults as follows:

  // SMTP port (default is 587)
  $config[‘smtp_port’] = 587;

  // SMTP username (if required). %u will use the current username for login
  $config[‘smtp_user’] = ‘%u’;

  // SMTP password (if required). %p will use the current user’s password
for login
  $config[‘smtp_pass’] = ‘%p’;

* changed default password_charset to UTF-8:

Because of many complaints, we decided to choose a more sane default that
covers most setups and configurations.

* login page returning 401 Unauthorized status:

The new behavior that Roundcube 1.4 returns a 401 status code if the client
is not authenticated apparently was very unexpected and lead to monitoring
problems. Despite not having mentioned that change in the release notes, we
now partly reverted it so that 401 is only returned on login failures but
not on the first request to Roundcube which by definition is unauthorized.

Besides these three major concerns we heard from your much appreciated
feedback, we fixed a number of nasty bugs that sneaked into the 1.4.0
release. See the full changelog in the release notes on the Github download
page [1].

This release is considered stable and we recommend to update all productive
installations of Roundcube with this version. Download it from roundcube.net
[2].

Please do backup your data before updating.

We'd also like to thank Phil for his steady efforts to keep our website
up-to-date. Your work is much appreciated!

Best,
Thomas & Alec

[1] https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/releases/tag/1.4.1
[2] https://roundcube.net/download