[RCD] Spell checking service is back online

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Wed Sep 29 23:11:05 CEST 2021

Dear subscribers

After the recent announcement
<https://roundcube.net/news/2021/09/14/spell-roundcube-net-service-down>
about the death of spell.roundcube.net, we received a number of offers from
internet service providers around the globe who offered their support to
continue the free spell checking service for Roundcube.

Now we’re happy to announce that we could establish a new sponsoring with
HostingU2 <https://hostingu2.nl> from the Netherlands and that
spell.roundcube.net is back online.

Although we can again support existing Roundcube installations with their
default settings for spell checking, we still encourage you to re-configure
<https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/blob/master/config/defaults.inc.php#L921>
Roundcube to use PHP’s pspell
<https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.pspell.php> or enchant
<https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.enchant.php> API with a locally
installed aspell library. We have also created a Docker image
<https://hub.docker.com/r/roundcube/google-spell-pspell> allowing you to
run your own instance of the former Google Spell Check service as we do.

Kind regards,

Thomas