[RCU] Re: RoundCube Folder w/ 8500+ messages (Squirrelmail 1.5.xworks fine)

Jason Fesler jfesler at gigo.com
Tue Aug 21 19:28:23 CEST 2007

> While your suggestions all are valid to some degree, I think you overlooked
> one very important point.  I can swap out the latest version of RoundCube
> with Squirrelmail 1.5.x and there is a huge increase in speed - almost

It sounds like Squirrelmail 1.5.x may finally be only pulling the headers
for a single "page" of index data?  If so, I need to investigate it.. :-)

Given the GUI nature of RC, I'm not sure how practical that is.  Unless
you allow scrolling right away, perhaps with dummy data, and dynamically
fetch the entries you need to show for the current page, as you scroll to
them; and used some kind of persistent connection from the client to the
server, to avoid bashing the imap server.

Few clients actually get this right (non-web); pine and mulberry (RIP) are
the only couple I know that only fetch the index headers for what needs to
be shown *now*; both fetch more on demand; and they usea persistent
connection (but that's cheating, since they aren't a web app).