running roundcube on a different server from imap server

Brady J. Frey brady at dotfive.com
Tue Feb 13 20:41:41 CET 2007

As Michael noted, running local will be faster - however, we've had no
problem running a heavily used roundcube system on a server outside of
the mail server's local network and it should not be a huge performance
issue (because, essentially, this is what a user does with a desktop
mail client anyhow). If your web server has a good capacity to handle an
application, you should be just fine, and I don't see one as being a
huge increase over the other depending on your system.

If you want to gain a very small performance speed, use the IP of the
mail server rather than it's DNS name if your mail server will allow
that communication (that's assuming roundcube will accept it and your
mail server is housing only  your mail) - avoiding the translation of
DNS to IP will give a performance increase... but again, very small, so
only if you're really cramming for performance.