Re Question about RoundCubeMail Setup

Lewis Butler lbutler+roundcube at covisp.net
Tue Feb 20 23:23:14 CET 2007

On 20-Feb-2007, at 10:19, Brady J. Frey wrote:
>> Thanks for your quick response. I was suspecting that I might need
>> a backend
>> IMAP server to run with RCM but wanted to make sure it was an
>> absolute
>> requirement. I suppose I should have noticed the word "client" in the
>> description and that would have answered my question. lol
>>
>> It seems that the server specs and bandwidth aren't going to be
>> that much of
>> a problem as we're going to be using a large datacenter and have
>> plenty of
>> servers setup in clusters. Finding a good, reliable IMAP server is
>> going to
>> be a problem it seems. I'll keep looking and, if anyone happens to
>> have any
>> recommendations, please feel free to forward them my way.
>
> Just to throw my hat in here - we use OS X's Postfix/Cyrus mail
> server (or have for the past 3 years), and while it runs relatively
> smoothly, it's lack of configuration power can sometimes tie our
> hands and give us a grand headache. I'm not a strong supporter of
> it, and have looked for a more robust alternative - especially
> after fickle corruption from bootable backups, and other joys. The
> bleeding edge version may have some of these tweaked out, just noting.

I think that in terms of large scale solutions, the most popular (and
therefore the most supported) is postfix/mysql.  I know Cyrus has
some solutions for large scale configs, but certainly my impression
is that the large installs are dominated by postfix/mysql (or some sql).

--
Lewis Butler, Owner Covisp.net
240 S Broadway #203, 80209